Veterans Center



About the Veterans Center

With more than 50 veterans on campus, the Veterans Center at Pine Technical & Community College is committed to providing student veterans a successful and fulfilling educational experience. The center offers a wide array of services such as social events, GI Bill information, peer support, counseling and more.



Contact Information

Veteran's Club Advisor
Chris Morgan

PTCC's Certifying Official:
Sarah Dorn

Military Friendly School

Veteran Certification

Eligibility for veteran and dependent education benefits is determined by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). PTCC’s Financial Aid Office certifies students to the VA to receive benefits. A student must be admitted to the college and registered for courses in a degree-seeking program to be certified for veteran's education benefits. PTCC requires students who would like their credits certified to the Department of Veteran’s Affairs to complete a Request for Credit Certification when the student has finished registering for courses for an upcoming term. Students are also required to notify the VA Certifying Official any time changes are made to that schedule.

OIF Readjustment Counselor North Metro Regional Coordinator

Stacey Rhodes, MSW, LGSW Charles Egerstrom
Tel: 218-722-8654 Tel: 763-433-1113
E-mail: E-mail:

Veterans Education Transfer System

With the Veterans Education Transfer System, veterans more easily can determine when they can earn college credits for military training. The online service helps veterans and members of the armed forces identify whether their military training counts for college credits in the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system (MnSCU).

Known as the Veterans Education Transfer System, the service is believed to be the first of its kind in the country. "Hundreds of military jobs can lead to civilian careers with some additional education," said MnSCU Chancellor James McCormick. "In the past, veterans have often found it difficult to know whether the training they receive in the military can count for college credit. We want to help veterans build on the excellent training they receive in the military by awarding appropriate credits and allowing them to complete a college program more quickly."

Information about military credit transfer options can be found at, a section of the MnSCU website that has consolidated information about programs and services for veterans. To determine whether military credits can be accepted for transfer, veterans and service members can use the new service to match military occupational specialty codes with programs offered by MnSCU and get estimates of the number of credits that could be awarded for that military occupation. Information about wages and job outlook also is provided.

Credits for military training are awarded using guidelines established by the American Council on Education, a coordinating association of higher education institutions. Currently, the transfer system can identify awardable credits for military training in four large occupational areas - law enforcement, diesel and truck mechanics, administrative and human resource assistants and paramedics. More occupational areas, such as health care, will be added to the system as they are reviewed and deemed appropriate for transfer.

Financial Aid Resources for Veterans

Types of Financial Aid

Both Federal and State Financial Aid programs (including grants and loans) are available for veterans to utilize in conjunction with federal veterans benefits and tuition reimbursement. A detailed shopping sheet is available in the Financial Aid area of eServices which outlines common aid programs available to students, as well as cost of attendance information. Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans and Private Education Loans are available to all students to assist with the cost of attending college. Students have the ability to refuse all or portions of the loan amounts available to them.

Other Aid Programs for Veterans

Veterans may also be eligible to receive benefits through the Minnesota GI Bill program. This is a Minnesota program through the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs. This program is different than the Federal GI Bill (Montgomery, Post 9-11, Veterans Education Assistance Program, Dependents Education Assistance Program, or Vocational rehabilitation). This program awards veterans additional aid if they have remaining need after VA benefits, federal/state financial aid, and other grants/scholarships have been considered. The annual limit for receipt of Minnesota GI Bill funds is $3,000 and the lifetime maximum is $10,000. For more information on the Minnesota GI Bill program, visit the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs website.

For more information on Financial Aid eligibility requirements, visit the PTCC Financial Aid homepage. Remember to contact the Financial Aid Office with questions about your eligibility, timelines, or the application process via email at

Students receiving Veteran Education benefits can also receive Title IV Federal Financial Aid and Minnesota State Financial Aid programs with no benefit reduction.

Helpful Links for Veterans

Transitioning from the military to college can sometimes be difficult. Take a look at these helpful resources.